12.14.2009

Kheer - Indian Rice Pudding

One of my new favorite dishes right here! I'm pretty sure I ate it for breakfast, lunch, snack & dessert the other day. It's a staple in our fridge now.

Kheer is traditionally an Indian sweet. You'll find it on the dessert table during celebrations or at the end of your local Indian Buffet. The latter is how I came across it. I have tried a few different recipes of Kheer and though I'd like to remain modest, I happen to like the kind in my fridge just a bit better. Everyone has their preferences and I suggest you cater this recipe to your own liking. Add a little of this and that, change the rice, get the milk consistency as you favor, adjust cardamom to your preference, etc. It's all an experiment, right?


Here's a recipe I've concocted:

Ingredients:

4 C whole milk
1.5 C water
1 C Basmati Rice
3/4 C sweetened condensed milk
1/2 C sugar
handful golden raisins
handful slivered almonds
pinch saffron
1 tsp. freshly crushed cardamom

Preparation:

Cook milk, water and rice in heavy bottomed saucepan until liquid is reduced 50% - about 10-20 minutes. During this process, take a spoonful of hot liquid from the pan, put in a small bowl or cup, add your saffron and let bloom. I also use this time to crush my cardamom using a mortar and pestle.
Add sweetened condensed milk and sugar to saucepan and cook until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add saffron, cardamom, almonds and raisins - stir gently. Chill.

Notes:

* Some people like to eat their Kheer warm - I find it to be too sweet when it's served warm and think the flavors are at their peak when it has been chilled for a couple hours.

** The most important part of this recipe IMO is the freshly crushed cardamom. First, it does a number on my nose. Every time I smell cardamom it warms my heart. And second, it really makes this dish takeoff in the flavor department.

No comments: