1.07.2009

Yummy Food

I just remembered how much I LOVE root vegetables. It isn't until Winter that I see them, get a craving, buy a bunch from the market, do some roasting, and enjoy. I picked up some turnips from the market on Monday and did the following:

Pre-heat oven to 450
Put about 2 tblsp butter in your baking pan
Bake for a couple minutes till melted and beginning to brown
Mix in a few tsp Balsamic Vinegar
Toss turnips (sliced about 1.5-2" thick and the big pieces quartered, medium pieces halved)
Roast for 20 minutes
Remove from oven & toss in a bit of Thyme & a couple dashes of salt
Roast for another 20-30 minutes depending on size of turnips

While I was at the market I ran into one of my all time favorite fruits: the Champagne Mango
I cannot even begin to tell you how amazing these mangoes are. You will just have to try one.

Thankfully my cravings seem to be of the healthy kind so far :)

1 comment:

Sarah B @ Life. Love. Sincerely. said...

I've never cooked with turnips before... Awhile back I roasted sticks of carrots, zucchini, and sweet potatoes tossed in olive oil with herbs... so yummy! Maybe I'll have to throw in some turnips next time!